Boys’ soccer defeats Crespi on Senior Night

By Charlton Azuoma

The varsity boys’ soccer team defeated the Crespi Celts tonight on Ted Slavin Field. Seniors on the squad were honored tonight for this is the last home game they’ll play disregarding playoffs.

The game started out well for the Wolverines, as their crowding defense helped the team to many early opportunities that led to a couple of shots. 

As the matched moved on, possession was highly in favor of the Wolverines, although neither side could really string together enough passes to get any thing going on offensively.

A breakthrough was almost reached for the Wolverines in the 21st minute, when midfielder Alex Goodwin ’12 threaded a ball behind the wall that hit the post on a free kick just outside the penalty box. Ty Gilhuly ’13 was there to knock it in off the rebound but it was called offside by the lines referee.

The momentum from their last opportunity really influenced the rest of their play in the first half.

With 15 minutes left to play in the first half, Goodwin ’12 lobbed the ball behind a Celt’s shoulder which landed right at the feet of Ty Gilhuly ’13 who knocked it past the keeper for the first goal.

After halftime, the Celts defense just seemed to have no answer for the Wolverines’ offense which broke them down inside and out.

Goodwin ’12 capped the win with a goal with about 15 minutes left in the game.

The victory moves the Wolverines to 7-3-1 in the Mission League and 16-4-3 overall. They face the Alemany Warriors this Wednesday on the road to close out their regular season before playoffs.