We need to clarify the Honor Code

There’s no doubt that the Honor Code is important to the community. Seventy-eight percent of students polled think so, and 82 percent of students believe in the Honor Code. But despite the overwhelming support of the 14-year-old code, 54 percent of students polled said it is not clear to them what constitutes an Honor Code infraction. This discrepency needs to be addressed.

The responsibility falls not on the administration, not on the teachers, not on the prefects, not on the students, but on the community as a whole.

Students claim to believe in a document that they do not understand. They throw blind faith at the code but do not comprehend the fine details of it.

From this overwhelming trust in the code, we can assume students are willing to explore the minutia of the document. But we need guidance.

Part of the burden falls on the administration, which needs to dissect the Honor Code with students. Deans should hold round-table class meetings directed at answering anonymous questions submitted about infractions. It is hard for students to come forward with questions without implicating themselves, but their questions need to be answered.

Teachers should take a more active role, detailing their interpretations of the Honor Code. Students need to be open to others’ interpretations of the code to gain a broader and more comprehensive understanding.

With its inherent vagueness necessary to keep the document up to date, the Honor Code begs to be questioned. Its gray areas are larger than its black and white sections, but sometimes, the gray needs to be cleared up.