Candidate Statement: Henry Woody ’13

1. For what position are you running?

Senior Prefect

2. What makes you feel that you are qualified for the position? Please describe any leadership experiences you’ve had, if applicable.

In my opinion, I have pretty good ideas often enough and I think that I could think of ways to help improve the school or help solve a problem when presented to the prefect council. I am also open to new ideas if they’re good, and I’m usually pretty flexible. I haven’t had any leadership experiences per say, but I do tell people what to do sometimes.

3. How do you feel about the Honor Board and what has led you to feel this way?

I think that the Honor Board can be too strict at times. Sometimes it punishes people too severely for what I might consider a minor offense. While any infraction of the Honor Code is bad and should not be committed, I think that some are much less worse than others. I don’t think that anybody perfectly follows the Honor Code, but I do think that for the most part people try their best and don’t intend to violate the Honor Code. Maybe a few people do perfectly abide by the rules of the Honor Code, but I don’t think that the entire Honor Board should be made up of the few people who never do anything wrong, because most people are not like them and it would be harder for them to put themselves in the position of the person who has committed the violation. I don’t think that the minority of people who never do anything wrong should be able to decide how to deal with the majority of people, who are not exactly like them. I believe that people do make mistakes or do things without meaning to be bad, but maybe just to help out a friend. That said, I know that there are cases where people violate the Honor Code in a major way and they should be punished for that. I think the Honor Board should pay attention to the intent of the offense, more than just on what the offense itself was.

4. Please describe one thing in Harvard-Westlake’s community you would change. Also, how would you use the influence of the position of Junior/Senior Prefect to change our community?

I think that sometimes school can get to be too much all at once, and it would be nice if there was a way to lower some of the stress. I know that I could not change a class’s curriculum, but I think it would be cool if there were a way to make it easier on students for when there gets to be too many assignments due at one time. As prefect I would try to get teachers to be more lenient about assignments or tests for students who have a lot of other stuff due. I know that a lot of teachers are understanding when it comes to this sort of thing, but I think more could and should be. I would try to get the faculty to go easier on us and know that we have a lot of work to do for other classes, as well as their class.