3 students win national art awards

By Gabrielle Franchina

Three students were honored nationally by the Scholastic Art and Writing Award after regional recognition in January. Jake Schapiro ’12 received a gold medal for his glass vase titled “Caesar’s Cup.” Chloe Lister ’12 received a silver medal for her photograph titled “Watched.” Matthew Mantel ’12 was also awarded a silver medal for his painting “Draft of Father.”

Lister, Mantel and Schapiro were all entered by their art teachers into the regional Scholastic Art and Writing Awards, and each received a Gold Key award, the highest of three awards. All Gold Key entries are then considered on the national level.

Schapiro will have his vase displayed at the 2012 National ART.WRITE.NOW NYC Exhibition June 1 at Carnegie Hall in New York City. His piece will be one of 350 works of art and writing showcased.

Winners of the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards are given both scholarships and the opportunity for their artwork to be exhibited or published. All submissions are judged on technical skill, the artist’s personal voice and originality. Throughout its history, the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards have acknowledged nine million artists and writers, giving away more than $25 million in awards and scholarships. Seniors awarded national medals are also eligible for scholarships through partnerships with certain colleges and universities.