Football drop season opener against rival Loyola in first ever matchup

By Luke Holthouse

The first ever matchup in football between Harvard-Westlake and Loyola ended in defeat for the Wolverines on Thursday, Aug. 23. The Wolverines, who came into the game as three touchdown underdogs, brought a 14-7 lead into halftime but ultimately fell 42-27.

“They made the plays when they needed to,” first-year Head Coach Scot Ruggles said. “We just didn’t have it in the tank in the second half.”

Loyola, Harvard-Westlake’s rival in almost every boys’ sport, had never played against the Wolverines in football since the merger between Harvard and Westlake in 1991. Loyola did, however, play Harvard once before its merger with Westlake back in 1927.

The Loyola rushing attack, led by running back Wyatt Bradford, was held to only one score in the first half, but put 35 on the scoreboard in the second. Bradford ended his night with four touchdowns. Defensive lineman Chase Klein ’13 said that fatigue set in for the Wolverine defense in the second half as numerous players went down with cramps. Due to a lack of depth, the majority of players on the team must play both offense and defense.

“We don’t have much depth,”  Klein said. “We’re a well conditioned team, but I don’t know what caused the cramps.”

The Wolverine offense, led by over 400 yards passing from quarterback Chad Kanoff ’13, was unable to keep up with the Cubs offense.

“We dropped some key balls and we had a couple penalties,” Ruggles said.”We just didn’t make the plays we needed to.”

The Wolverines take on North Hollywood next week at Ted Slavin Field. Ruggles said that he and his staff will watch North Hollywood’s game tomorrow against El Camino Real before mapping out a game plan.