By Alex Leichenger
Boys’ basketball player Danilo Dragovic ’11 is appealing a decision by CIF to rule him ineligible for the upcoming season, Head Coach Greg Hilliard told The Chronicle Monday. Dragovic was also forced to sit out the varsity season last year at San Marcos High after moving from Serbia to live with a host family in the United States.
Hilliard said that Dragovic’s transfer waiver was denied by CIF in October, when rulings are made on the eligibility of all transfer students.
“Nobody can be confident with the legal process and CIF and all,” Hilliard said. “They just have to decide and interpret their rules how they want to and set precedents the way they want to…We’re just extremely hopeful, not so much for our sake as for his because he came to this country with the hopes of playing high school ball and still hasn’t gotten the chance to play.”
Dragovic’s hearing is scheduled for Nov. 29, the same day as the Wolverines’ first regular season game. Dragovic was expected to start at shooting guard this year for the Wolverines, whose depth has already been hurt by injuries to guard Nick Firestone ’11 and forwards David Burton ’11 and Derick Newton ’14.
Despite the ruling, Dragovic is allowed to practice and scrimmage with the team. If he wins his appeal, he still might have to sit out several games before he is allowed to return to the court, Hilliard said.