Ethics Bowl team places second at national competition

Printed with permission of Jade Harris
Team members Caroline Cosgrove ’26, Esther Goldman ’26, Print Managing Editor Jade Harris ’24, Maya Ray ’25 Andrew Wesel ’24 and Asher Meron ’25 pose for a picture after the national competition in North Carolina.

The Upper School Ethics Bowl team placed second in the 2024 National Ethics Bowl competition at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill on April 14. The team qualified for nationals following their first place wins at the regional and state competitions

Ethics Bowl speaker Esther Goldman ’26 said she is satisfied with how the team performed during the national competition .

“I’m really proud of us for getting second place,” Goldman said. “We were undefeated the entire season [until nationals] so I’m a little disappointed. Overall, I’m just really proud of us, and I’m glad that we were able to make it this far.”

During a competition , each team presents their position on an ethical dilemma and responds to questions from the other team and judges. Before competitions, team members work on coming up with arguments to present on various cases during their practices throughout the year. Sophomore Prefect and Ethics Bowl speaker Caroline Cosgrove ’26 believes that her team’s success was due to their ability to collaborate and hear each other out when presenting their different ideas.

“Our team was successful because we were able to listen to each other’s ideas and learn from them,” Cosgrove said. “We didn’t only believe in our own personal opinions and stayed open to other people, which is why we were able to work together as a team and prepared really well together.”

Goldman said Ethics Bowl’s goal moving forward is to continue expanding the team, especially as Print Managing Editor Jade Harris ’24 and Andrew Wesel ’24, the two seniors on the team, will be graduating this year.

“It’s definitely going to be difficult to lose our seniors,” Goldman said. “[However] if we work hard, we will be able to create another team that’s going to do well. Nationals was just such a great experience to meet people from around the country, so I hope we will be able to do it again next year.”