Team looks to bounce back after shaky start

Center+defender+Ayva+Magna+%E2%80%9922+gets+ready+to+shoot+the+ball+against+Oaks+Christian+High+School+during+her+game+March+4.+

Maxine Zuriff

Center defender Ayva Magna ’22 gets ready to shoot the ball against Oaks Christian High School during her game March 4.

Maxine Zuriff

The girls water polo team struggled at the beginning of its season and currently stands at an overall record of 6-3. The team started off strong with an 8-5 win over Mira Costa High School but since then has dealt with multiple losses.

The squad played their second game against Oaks Christian High School on March 4 and lost 8-14. They later competed against Los Alamitos High School on March 6, losing the game with a score of 8-18. Last season, the team finished its season with an overall record of 18-15.

Center defender Ayva Magna ’22 has high hopes for the season despite the fact that the squad lost strong players and valuable time.

“This season, I feel that even though we haven’t had much practice as usual, and members of our team graduated last year, we feel more motivated than ever because we get the chance to play again,” Magna said. “I believe our team will improve, and it can only get better from here.”

Last season, the team was undefeated in league with a 6-0 record. This season, the team has only played two league games,  and its current record is 2-0.

Even though the team has sustained some losses this season, attacker Alex Button ’21 said she feels the team has improved and found its strengths and weaknesses.

“Although our season was unfortunately cut short this year due to the pandemic, I think the team is doing a great job of learning how to play cohesively,” Button said. “We have been able to really hone in on our weaknesses and take advantage of our strengths against some great competition.”

The girls played against Newport Harbor High School on March 8, losing 6-18. In addition, they competed against Marymount High School on March 9, winning 17-2, and Notre Dame High School on March 12, winning 22-9.

Button said she is grateful to be a part of this team and that no matter the outcome of the season,  she is happy to be surrounded by her teammates.

“When it comes down to it, I never focus on our wins or how many goals I did or did not score [but] rather the amazing experiences I’ve had with some of my closest friends,” Button said.