Girls basketball defeats Palisades High School

Claire Conner

The girls basketball team defeated Palisades High School 72-41 to add to its 7-1 record for the season Monday. 

The team dominated the scoreboard throughout the game, ending the first half with a 24 point lead and maintaining the momentum to score 40 points in the second half. The Wolverine offense has displayed the same strength for the entire season,  and they have led each of the last three games at the end of each quarter, winning them all by at least an 18 point margin. 

Shooting guard Jordyn Call ’23 said the team built on its solid performance and teamwork in throughout the game against Palisades High. 

“We were sharing the ball well, playing good defense and making smart decisions,” Call said. “I think this season has pretty much gone the way we hoped it would, and we’re meshing as a team.” 

Prior to their three-game win streak that began with a 62-27 victory over Pasadena High School on April 15, the squad suffered a close 64-62 loss to West Torrance High School on April 13. The team maintained a close margin throughout the game, ending the first half one point behind the Warriors and coming slightly short of a victory. 

The loss came after a four-game win streak at the beginning of the season. The Wolverines defeated Sierra Canyon High School 58-48 in their season opener, beat Ventura High School 55-33 and had a close 48-44 victory over Rosary High School. They ended the streak with an 65-48 win against Aliso Niguel High School.  

The squad will play Etiwanda High School on April 21, and Call said the team is thinking ahead and focusing on continuing its momentum. 

“I think the biggest thing we need to focus on for our game against Etiwanda is our communication on the floor, especially on defense,” Call said. “Other than that, I think we got this.”