Girls’ golf takes 2nd in CIF finals match

For the first time since 2001 the girls’ varsity golf team placed second in both the Mission League and in the CIF regional match.

Jessica Wibawa ’13, Madeline Abrahams ’14, Kate Kushi ’14 and Amanda Aizuss ’13 finished with 18-hole scores of 78, 80, 79, and 77 respectively at Temecula Golf Course on Oct. 29. The Wolverines finished with a total score of 403 strokes, behind Mission League winning Notre Dame in the tournament.

“At first, we thought we had no chance of placing better than 5th because a few girls from other teams had shot under par,” Aizuss said. “But in the end the other teams weren’t as consistent.”

After a shortened season where teams played league opponents only once a week rather than twice, the Wolverines finished 5-1 overall with their only regular season loss coming against Notre Dame on Oct. 11. The team lead by Wibawa and Aizuss  had a notable season record of 5-1, falling only to Notre Dame in a close match.  This recorded allowed them to take second place.

“Our short games got a lot better this season,” Maddy Abrahams said. “We started making important putts, and we started delivering under pressure.”

While the team surpassed the achievements of the players before them Abrahams said, “I think we each need to work on different things. Kate and I both went from golf being our second sport to our main sport, and we needed to adjust to that. While we handled it pretty well I think, we both have so much potential to shoot low on a consistent basis. So for the two of us I think we just need to practice and play and get experience, and the rest will come. For the younger girls, the main thing I think is just for them to get to know the game a little more, and I think with time, their scores will naturally start dropping. The freshmen all have great work ethics so I am excited to see how that will translate next season.”