Girls golf team remains optimistic after narrow loss to Notre Dame High School

Printed with permission of Maxine Zuriff

Before its match, the girls golf team prepares to face off against Notre Dame High School on the Encino Glen Golf Course

Leo Saperstein

The girls golf team took a narrow 171-178 loss to rival Notre Dame High School, bringing its league record to 1-1. While the team lost, it posted a low score, led by Ellie Koo ’24, who scored 33, three shots under par. 

Despite the loss, Marine Degryse ’22 said the close score motivated her, and she looks forward to bringing more strong team performances to the rest of the season’s matches.

“I think we could be very successful,” Degryse said. “Based on how close our match was with Notre Dame, we definitely have a chance at beating them at Mission League, so I’m very hopeful for the season to come because we have some very good players.”

This year’s team consists of more freshmen and sophomores than juniors and seniors, but Degryse said the younger players are just as valuable as the older players.

“Notre Dame is our biggest competition in the league, and this year, we have really, really, really good younger players,” Degryse said. “I’m really proud of the girls on our team for playing and bringing their all because it was their first time playing such a competitive team, yet everyone played really well.”

Girls Golf Program Head Branden Augustus said he expects successful performances in this season’s two league tournaments, the first of which will be played Sept. 20.

“Having six underclassmen compete hard against an experienced Notre Dame team, I think, will give our entire team a lot of confidence as we continue league play and move towards postseason play,” Augustus said. “There are some talented players across the league this year. With our talent and depth, we will be in contention at both league tournaments this year.”

After the upcoming tournament, the team will face Marymount High School in an away match Sept. 23.