Basketball plays in CIF

Kate Burry/Chronicle

JUMPMAN: Power-forward Landon Lewis ’22 extends his arm above the rim as he jumps up for a dunk in the match against Mater Dei High School in the first round of CIF open division playoffs. The Wolverines won 67-45.

Leo Saperstein

The boys basketball team defeated Mater Dei High School 67-45 in the first game of the CIF SS Open Division Playoffs on Feb. 11. In the regular season, the team won its fourth consecutive Mission League championship, with an overall record of 21-2 and a 5-1 league record.

After a ten-day hiatus between the team’s final regular season game against Chaminade College Preparatory High School, the squad continued its eight game win streak. Forward Brady Dunlap ’23 finished the game with 14 points and ended the third quarter with a buzzer-beater mid-range shot. 

Dunlap said the win will help the team in playoff games against Notre Dame High School and Sierra Canyon High School on Feb. 15 and Feb. 18, respectively.

“This win just gives us supreme confidence heading into our next two games,” Dunlap said. “At this point in the year, it is all about momentum and confidence. This win will give us both.”

In the game against Mater Dei High School, the team outscored its opponent every quarter. Dunlap said the team’s success this season can be attributed to players’ relationships off of the court.

“The team is truly a family,” Dunlap said. “We spend so many hours together that our chemistry is unmatched.”

In the game against Mater Dei High School, the team outscored its opponent every quarter. Dunlap said the team’s playoff loss to Saint John Bosco High School last season motivated it to prepare thoroughly for this season. Now, Dunlap said the team needs to work together to find more success in the playoffs.

“[We] had a heart-breaking loss last year in the playoffs,” Dunlap said. “The team this year felt that loss. We have all just worked so hard to redeem ourselves from last year. I want a state championship. We have worked too hard to walk away with [no] hardware. I hope we just all come together and forget the individual accolades in order to get us a ring.”

Boys basketball Program Head David Rebibo said while he is excited that the team won its fourth consecutive Mission League championship, he is preparing his team now for playoff competition.

“Winning the Mission League is always our goal,” Rebibo said. “Right now, we are just trying to improve in as many areas as we can and become the most complete team we can.”

Rebibo said players lost the ability to play together early in the season, and he hopes players will continue to grow closer.

“We have battled injuries and a lack of practice time as a full team,” Reibibo said. “The COVID-19 pause for two weeks was also something that we struggled with during the break and heading into the first week of league play. We are just trying to get better every day and continue to come together.”

Guard Brando Fuqua ’23 said his first season on the team taught him about the importance of forming strong relationships with teammates.

“[The team is] always there if I need help. Our relationship is deeper than just basketball,” Fuqua said. “No matter win or lose, my teammates will always be there for me.”