Boys basketball continues eight-game win streak

Christopher Mo

The boys basketball team remained undefeated in Mission League play last week with wins against Sierra Canyon High School and Notre Dame High School before moving to a 23-1 overall record with a non-league win over Rancho Verde on Saturday.

The Wolverines finished their back-and-forth game against Notre Dame with an 85-78 victory in double overtime, overcoming a team led by senior Gonzaga commit Dusty Stromer. 

On Friday, the squad comfortably beat a Sierra Canyon team that was missing two of its best players—four-star Bronny James and five-star Isaiah Elohim.

Boys Basketball Program Head David Rebibo said the team has come a long way from the start of the season and is in a good position going into the playoffs.

“The team is starting to hit its stride at the right time,” Rebibo said. “We are coming together and starting to play really good basketball. We are a unit. We have a great team of guys with high character and tremendous toughness and chemistry. I’m looking forward to competing with the best and seeing where we fall.”

The team’s win against Rancho Verde marked its eighth consecutive victory. Guard Robert Hinton ’24 said the team’s communication has been a major factor in their success. 

“Our coaches make it a priority to be talking to each other the whole game,” Hinton said. “We are all on the same wavelength, communicating and supporting each other through everything on and off the court.”

Hinton said the team is focused on winning games and building momentum ahead of the California Interscholastic Federation Southern Section playoffs.

“Every game, all of our guys have been giving it their all and have stayed locked in,” Hinton said. “Our coaches have also been doing an amazing job helping us become better and smarter every day but also trying their best to make sure we can still play at our peak performance through our long and tough season.”

The team plays Chaminade High School at home Jan. 25 and St. Francis High School away Jan. 27 as it closes out its league schedule. Tickets to the senior night game against Chaminade will be available in the athletic office at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday.