Boys tennis defeats Fountain Valley High School

Paul Kurgan/Chronicle

Singles and doubles player Andrew Kurgan ’24 returns a serve during a practice. The team will face Chaminade College Preparatory High School in its first Mission League game of the season March. 8.

Leo Saperstein

The boys tennis team defeated Fountain Valley High School 13-5 in its third match of the season March 3. The squad won the first two games of the season, including an 18-0 victory in the season opener against Valencia High School.

The squad finished the 2020-2021 season with an 18-1 overall record and went 9-1 in Mission League play. Singles and doubles player Andrew Arkow ’23 said the team has worked together in its early season matches, leading to its success.

“Our team [has] been very solid in our first few games, securing necessary matches and staying focussed throughout all three rounds of our matches,” Arkow said. 

While the team is currently undefeated, Arkow said players must prepare for more challenging matches during the rest of the season in order to find playoff success.

“As the season progresses, we need to be prepared to play tougher teams with more depth and be ready to put in the hard work that is required to be highly ranked players,” Arkow said. “We are hoping to defend our CIF Open Division Southern Section title and our CIF Regional title this season.”

Singles and doubles player Andrew Kurgan ’24, who has been a varsity player since his freshman year, said the team succeeded due to players’ confidence.

“The team had done a good job bringing a high aura to the courts and being confident in matches,” Kurgan said. “We have to work on our volleys, closing at the net and finishing easy points.”

Boys Tennis Program Head Bo Hardt said he and the players used the beginning of the season to develop chemistry in preparation for the rest of the season.

“Our early season matches help us sort out our pairings of our doubles teams and lineups,” Hardt said. “Our strength this season is our depth. The top schools have higher ranked players in singles, but we have good players in all positions.”

The team will play San Marcos High School at Weddington Golf & Tennis center in its fourth game of the season March 3. The team will play its first Mission League match of the season against Chaminade High School on March 8.