LeBari and Marks elected as Head Prefects

Alexander Dinh

Assistant News Editor Davis Marks ’24 joined Bari LeBari ’24 as a Head Prefect for the 2023-2024 school year after winning the final runoff election. This is the first time in the school’s history that both Head Prefects are male.

Marks said he was grateful that the student body chose him as Head Prefect, and that the past four years he has spent in student government have been rewarding.

“I feel so honored that students elected me to serve as their Head Prefect, and I cannot wait to begin working with [LeBari] and the rest of next year’s Prefect Council to make our community a better place,” Marks said. “Serving on Student Council and Prefect Council for the past four years has been such a large part of my life, and nothing has been more fulfilling than getting to listen to my classmates and create the change they wish to see. I hope to lead a Prefect Council that effectively represents students and enacts meaningful change in our community.”

LeBari said that as Head Prefect, he wants to be able to help the community in any way possible.

“As a Head Prefect [I plan to] be supportive, help people out and just be there for the community,” LeBari said. “The main reason why I ran was to help as many people as possible, just to support them through their daily affairs. I’m just trying to make Harvard-Westlake 1% better every single day. If you’re 1% better every day, then you’ll be a lot percent better after a bunch of days.”

Marks said the school community has always been welcoming to him and as Head Prefect he hopes to improve students’ everyday lives.

“Our community has never failed to make me feel loved, which has allowed me to grow as a person, friend and student without ever feeling alone,” Marks said. “I genuinely love seeing students smile and enjoy school, so as Head Prefect, I hope I can be a source of positivity and support for students. Though Head Prefects have the responsibility of leading Prefect Council, I hope to truly make a difference by leading our community in fostering an environment of support, love and inclusion.”

LeBari said Marks is committed to Prefect Council and he is excited to continue to work with him as Head Prefect.

“It has been great working with [Marks],” LeBari said. “He is a great guy and very hard working and dedicated. I’m very happy for him, and [after] working with him this year, I’m excited to continue to work with him next year as Head Prefect.”

Prior to the 2019-2020 school year, one Head Prefect had to be female and the other had to be male. Following an ad hoc committee’s suggestions regarding methods on how to make the school more inclusive, elections for Head Prefects are now based solely on the number of votes each candidate received, regardless of gender. During the 2021-2022 school year, Jade Stanford ’22 and former Executive Editor Quincey Dern ’22 made history as the first two female students elected as Head Prefects.

Sophomore Prefect Ellie Borris ’25 said after working with LeBari and Marks on Prefect Council this year, he is excited to see them work together as Head Prefects.

“[Marks] always knows what to do and who to talk to, [in order] to get things done,” Borris said. “He’s super helpful with everything and really on top of everything. He is the glue that holds everybody together. [LeBari] is a ton of fun to just be in the same room with, and he gets a lot of work done as well. Usually Head Prefects are a little intimidating, or not easy to go up and talk to, but I feel like everybody just loves [LeBari] and is comfortable talking to him. [LeBari and Marks] really complement each other well, and I’m excited to see what happens next.”