Lacrosse team eliminated in quarterfinals following three consecutive one-goal games

SAVING THE DAY: Goalie Rohan Mehta ’23 saves a shot on goal versus Palisades High School April 12. The team also celebrated Senior Night. Printed with permission of Darlene Bible.

Alexander Dinh

The lacrosse team lost to Temecula Valley High School 11-10 in the quarterfinals of Division II CIF Southern Section (CIF-SS) playoffs May 6, ending the season with a 9-8 overall record and a 3-3 record in the Mission League. The team lost in the semi-finals of the Mission League tournament to Loyola High School 20-5 on Apr. 22.

The squad beat Peninsula High School 6-5 and Beckman High School 7-6 in the first two rounds of CIF playoffs. Attackman Vincenzo Rabizadeh ’25 said he enjoyed playing in three consecutive playoff games that were decided by one goal.

“The close games were some of the most fun games we’ve had,” Rabizadeh said. “Every game was a little bit different, [and] we improved after every one. Each time we fought, it was amazing to be with all my brothers on the team and to stand side by side to fight for one cause, to get one more game and see how far we can make it.” 

The team started the season 1-3 before finishing with a record of 9-8. Rabizadeh said the team learned how to play as more of a unit over the course of the season. 

“One of the biggest things we learned to do is play as a team,” Rabizadeh said. “We started the season very cohesively, [and] as multiple individuals on the field at once. As the season went on, I think we improved in [terms of] trusting each other, trusting our coaches and being able to bring a different attitude into our games. I think that’s something that greatly helped us as the season progressed.”

Goalkeeper Rohan Mehta ’23 said he witnessed significant improvement across the team throughout the season.

“It was really nice seeing all the younger players develop, especially playing goalie, [since] I can see everything that’s happening,” Mehta said. “Seeing the improvement from people like Ben Simmons ’26 and Matthew Murray ’24 from the first whistle of the season to the last game, I’m really proud of all the work they’ve put in and the commitment everyone put in to the season.” 

Mehta, who is committed to Emerson College, said his four years on the team have prepared him to continue to play lacrosse at the collegiate level.

“It’s been an amazing four years,” Mehta said. “I had an amazing time on the team, and it’s my time on the lacrosse team has prepared me to play in college and at the next level.”