HW Media retreat recap

In the midst of August, members of The Chronicle, Vox Populi and HWTV staffs embarked on a retreat to Big Bear to bond following the HW Media merger. Below is a recap for those interested in what happens when you bring journalists into the woods:

Vox and Chronicle kids argue about whose editor-in-chief selection process was more toxic while making s’mores.

Vox and Chronicle kids are forced to engage in a mediation activity led by a local couples therapist to prevent an HW Media divorce.

Black market frosted sugar cookie dealership discovered in Bunk 3. Cookie price inflation outpaces U.S. inflation by 780%.

Vox kids perform a song and dance about how yearbook is journalism. Chronicle kids livestream it and have former Print Managing Editor Claire Conner ’23 join virtually to do live commentary.

The mess hall begins to smell like the Weiler Hall sports room. Turns out, Chronicle kids bring their stench with them.

HW Media Teacher Billy Montgomery leads the “M-U-L-T-I M-E-D-I-A” chant on the bus.

HW Media Director Jen Bladen reveals HW Media merch. Big Bear resident emails the school a week later informing that they have found an HW Media sweatshirt in a local Goodwill.

Chronicle kids tell ghost stories in news article format.

HW Media Director Jen Bladen checks bags for prohibited items and is shocked to find that Hannah Shahidi ’25 brought former Print Managing Editor Lucas Cohen-d’Arbeloff ’23 to retreat.

Chronicle artists reveal they are going on strike at the closing campfire. As a result, Print Managing Editor Jade Harris ’24 is forced to do all the art.

HW Media Director Jen Bladen reveals her “TRANSPARENCY, ACCURACY, OBJECTIVITY” tattoo during lake day. Assistant News Editor Hannah Shahidi ’25 announces that she plans to get a matching one when she gets back to Los Angeles.

Chronicle kids sneak into nearby Prefect Council retreat to get a scoop on the Honor Board. They are caught, and Prefect Council blames former Opinion Section Editor Georgia Goldberg ’23.

Features Editor Dylan Graff ’24 spends the entire two hour bus ride talking about how life changing his journalism summer camp was.

HW Media class rosters drop. Even theater kids receiving their cast list are not as whiny as the HW Media kids.

Sports Editor Jake Lancer ’24 brings the new portable high tech recording studio in the News Room and records a podcast in the woods.

Chronicle kid asks a Vox kid what Jostens is. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX*

*For the sake of journalistic decorum, the details of the reaction are redacted.

HW Media Director Jen Bladen leaves HW Media retreat early for an emergency Studio City Neighborhood Council meeting.

Students are caught kissing. Jen Bladen reads the “Journalist Code” and reminds students that they must pursue journalistic truth before love.

Big Bear Police Department is called by a camp groundsman after Chronicle kids talk about “killing orphans.”

Chronicle kids call kayaking “cama-yaking.” Vox kids roll their eyes.

HW Media Director Jen Bladen hosts traditional camp color wars but based on the mandatory HW Media personality tests.