Field hockey advances to Tournament of Champions semifinal

Justin Tang
The field hockey team discusses strategy in a game against Great Oak High School Oct. 24. The team went on to win 3-1, advancing to the semifinal.

The field hockey team defeated Great Oak High School 3-1 at home in the first round of the Tournament of Champions (TOC) on Oct. 24. The team improves to a total record of 12-2-1 with a league record of 7-1.

Goalie Lily Stambouli ’24 said preparing prior to games is crucial for the team to have success in the playoffs.

“This week, we’ve really been emphasizing being ready before we step on the field,” Stambouli said. “Either we’re in the locker room blasting music, or we’re giving it our all during warm-ups. I think it really contributes to us starting the game off on a good foot.”

Stambouli said the team encourages players not to focus on past mistakes during games.

“We always have the mindset on the field that your memory is [that of] a goldfish,” Stambouli said. “If you make a mistake, it’s already forgotten, it’s in the past and never even happened, because that way you don’t dwell on your mistakes. You just want to move on and give your all, even if you mess up a little. We always love to keep a good, positive energy on the field and encourage each other.”

The team’s next match is the semifinal of the TOC at home Oct. 26 against an opponent yet to be determined.