Junior pole-vaulter qualifies for CIF State track and field championships

Following the end of the regular track and field season, pole vaulter Sofia Rakfeldt ’25 competed at the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) State Track and Field Championships from May 24-25. Rakfeldt qualified for the state championships by placing sixth with a lifetime best of 12’3 in the CIF Masters Meet on May 18.

Rakfeldt did not quality for the finals in the preliminary rounds, but said her experience competing at the state level will help her improve for next season.

“My results from CIF state were not the best but it’s the nature of the sport,” Rakfeldt said. “The starting height was 11’9 which was much higher than I was used to as a starting height, but if anything, it’ll get me better prepared for next year.”

Track and Field Program Head Jonas Koolsbergen said the team had a successful season overall despite facing some challenges.

“We’ve had two all-time Harvard-Westlake school records [and] we had a combined Varsity dual meet record boys and girls together of 23-3, so we’re proud of that,” Koolsbergen said. “It’s been a very successful year, but at the same time, [we’re] always managing injuries and managing conflicts and managing difficulties, so [we] can never quite get everything to go exactly the way you want.”

Rakfeldt said she is looking to improve both physically and mentally before her senior year.

“Given my performance early on in the season, I didn’t expect myself to make [CIF State], especially since it required a [personal record]to qualify,” Rakfeldt said. “Next year my goal is to continue working on the basic technique, strength and speed needed for the sport but also building more confidence in myself which tends to make a big difference in my performance, and hopefully that will result in more success next season.”