Swimmers compete in CIF State events

Darlene Bible
Varsity swimmer Cooper Ren ’26 swims breaststroke at the CIF Division 1 preliminaries at Mount San Antonio College on May 1.

The boys’ and girls’ swim teams finished their respective seasons at the Mission League Swimming Finals on April 18. The boys’ team won second while the girls’ team won first. For the girls’ team, co-captain Logan Binder ’24 placed 3rd in the 200 Freestyle Event, Lily Neumann ’24 placed 1st in the 50 Freestyle Event and Isabella Zhang ’27 placed 4th in the IM Event. For the boys’ team, Sports Editor and co-captain Christopher Mo ’24 and Cooper Ren ’26 placed 2nd and 4th respectively in the IM Event. Neumann and Ren both qualified for state finals and Mo advanced to the state finals in two events. Zhang ’27 broke the school record in the 100 Breastroke Event.

Swimming and Diving Program Head Jason Schwarz said he is proud of the swimmers’ accomplishments despite a difficult start to the season.

“We had a really great year across both the boys’ and girls’ teams,” Schwarz said. “The girls won the Mission League title for the 8th year in a row. It was a challenging year. Going in we were not the favorites, but we really came together as a team and competed well in season and at the Mission League Championships.”

Co-captain Evette Um ’24 said the swimmers were able to develop close bonds with one another, which was a major goal for the team.

“We did an amazing job at creating a supportive, warm and welcoming environment for both new and returning swimmers,” Um said. “All the swimmers made close bonds with each other. This helped create a good environment full of sportsmanship and support for one another, something that is essential to swimming.”

Binder said she was happy with how hard the swimmers worked to improve their times this season.

“We lost a lot of crucial swimmers from last year, but so many girls stepped up to the challenge to fill their spots and that was great to see,” Binder said. “It was great seeing how everyone constantly improved meet after meet and how we all were putting in the necessary training to get to that higher level. It was an honor being their team captain and I can’t wait to see what they have in store for the next season. I know they will do great things in and out of the water.”

Mo said he urges swimmers to cherish the memories they make on the swim team.

“I still recall my first season as a freshman and I find it very hard to process that my swimming career at HW has already concluded,” Mo said. “I would tell younger swimmers to appreciate and make the most of their swimming careers in high school, as mine has felt like it went by in an instant. Have fun and support one another through all the meets.”

Schwarz said he will miss the departing seniors but is excited to see what they will do in the future.

“We are always sad to see our seniors move on but we are so proud of them,” Schwarz said. “This, especially, was a great group of seniors. [We are] proud of where they are going, their futures and their impacts on our program.”