Journalists join online news group

Ten Chronicle journalists were selected to serve as members of the 2015-2016 ASNE Youth Journalism Student Advisory Board.

Chronicle staffers Josie Abugov ’18, Ellis Becker ’18, Elly Choi ’18, Sofia Guillen ’18, Sammi Handler ’17, Brittany Hong ’18, Nicole Kim ’18, Alena Rubin ’18, Kate Schrage ’18 and Danielle Spitz ’18 will join other students around the country to discuss current events in journalism.

“I thought it was a good opportunity for me to be more involved with other student journalists,” Handler said.

Advisory board members are invited to a closed Facebook group moderated by professionals in media where they can receive advice and interact with their peers.

They will also participate in Twitter chats and have other exclusive journalism opportunities. Past members have been able to take part in both a press call with the White House concerning the First Lady’s visit to China in 2014 and a PBS panel about ethics in journalism following a screening of the documentary “A Fragile Trust.”

“I’m looking forward to being able to discuss different aspects in the world of journalism with people from all around the country,” Choi said. “I think that this experience will allow me to grow as a journalist.”