Mastin to become principal of Laurence School

Assistant Head of Middle School Paul Mastin is leaving at the end of the year to become the principal at the Laurence School in Valley Glen.

After 23 years at Harvard-Westlake, Mastin has decided that it is time for him to move forward after being both a dean and an English teacher.

“I’ve always appreciated and relished change as well as new adventures,” said Mastin, and “this new job provides both in large quantities.”

Mastin hopes to bring some important ideals he has seen at Harvard-Westlake with him to the Laurence School, including “the importance of community, the joy of learning and always a focus on the students as the reason for our love of education.”

Mastin said it was “certainly not easy to leave” after “teaching wonderful students, retreat, acting in student council videos, Dodgeball, and great friends.”

He also launched the Spectrum.

Students said they will miss Mastin’s presence on campus.

“Mr. Mastin was a really charismatic person, which made him extremely fun to be around, said Quentin Mackenzie ’17. “Everything that he did was so interesting to watch, too. It was just cool to see him continue to develop Harvard-Westlake into what it is right now.”

However, this decision was not easy.

“I love my colleagues and the students, past and present,” Mastin said. “I always thought I’d retire from Harvard-Westlake, not leave to take a new position. It was one of the toughest decisions of my life.”