Wolverines fall to Marymount in three sets

Outside hitter Carly Wallace ’20 and middle hitter Caroline Tilton ’19 press over the net for a stuff block. (Credit: Astor Wu/Chronicle)

The Girls’ Volleyball team lost 3-0 (25-16, 25-17, 25-16) to Marymount High School on Sept. 7 in Taper Gymnasium, marking their first league loss and bringing them to an overall record of 14-4. The Sailors, state quarterfinalists in 2017, advanced to 2-0 in league and an overall record of 11-2.

The Wolverines kept it close in the first set but were ultimately unable to match the athleticism of the Sailors down the stretch. The squad used the crowd’s energy to their advantage early and were able to contain Marymount’s offense for the majority of the set. Led by 6-foot-5 senior Grace Frohling, the Sailors were able to pull away late to go up 1-0.

After a slow start to the second set, the Wolverines kept their serves in and slowed down the Sailor’s heavy attack. Outside hitter Britt Gronemeyer ’20 said that her team won some great rallies but were unable to meet the Sailors’ consistency.

“Our highs were really high and our lows were really low,” Gronemeyer said. “Our attacking was really good in system but we had issues with simply keeping the ball in system.”

The Wolverines maintained their positive attitude throughout the third game, helping them win a series of rallies to keep their hopes alive. Similarly to the first game, the squad kept it close until the end, when the Sailors used their size and experience to pull away and win the match.

Despite the loss, Taper Gymnasium was packed with students, faculty and teachers, all showing support for the squad against their long time rival.

The student section celebrates after a Wolverine kill. (Credit: Astor Wu/Chronicle)

“At first, the crowd definitely intimidated us,” opposite Isabella Treadwell ’20 said. “Over time, we were able to adjust and it both helped us play better and them play worse.”

The Wolverines will travel to Notre Dame on Sept. 18 for their next league match. Their next game against the Sailors will take place on Oct. 2 at Marymount High School.

“We have a really good rivalry with Marymount and we let that get to our heads tonight,” defensive specialist Eve Baxter ’19 said. “Going forward, we have to treat every team on the other side the same way and just focus on playing our best volleyball.”