JCL places at Latin SCRAM

JCL poses for a group picture after competing in the the Latin SCRAM competition.

Members of the Junior Classical League won first place at the Open Certamen at their first Southern California Regional Amici Madness convention at Woodbridge High School on Dec. 1.

Students participated in workshops, impromptu art projects and a quiz bowl on classic-related subjects. Co-consuls Taia Cheng ’19 and Ben Beckman ’19, both on the JCL State Board, helped the executive committee run the convention.

“This is our first year [attending SCRAM],” Cheng said. “We hope that we have started a new tradition of attending SCRAM so that the JCL Convention in the spring is not the only event to look forward to.”

Simon Lee ’23 led his quiz bowl team to victory in the Open Certamen Novice Championship. Captains Lena Bagley ’22 and Avery Konwiser ’22 headed teams that participated in the championship round, with Konwiser’s team placing first.

Additionally, Beckman and Davis Cook ’19 both participated in the Open Certamen Advanced Championship Round and scored second and third place, respectively.

“This year’s SCRAM was wonderful, and we had a great turnout from both the Middle and Upper School,” Cheng said. “Based on the results, it looks like we still have solid teams on all levels for State Certamen this year.”