A case of pertussis returns to campus

Community Health Officer Milo Sini informed the school community that a current student that has been diagnosed with pertussis Thursday.

The school previously experienced a pertussis outbreak in the 2018-19 academic year.

Pertussis, also known as whooping cough, is a respiratory disease that can be spread when a person coughs or sneezes, Sini wrote in an email. 

Sini said that it is crucial for the entire school community to be aware of the symptoms of pertussis, as students frequently shuttle between campuses.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, signs and symptoms of pertussis can materialize over a 5 day to 3 week period. In the early stages, the symptoms of pertussis include a low-grade fever and occasional cough. In its later stages, pertussis can cause exhaustion and/or vomiting, following coughing fits.

Upon the recognition of symptoms, Sini said he advises seeking immediate medical assistance, since pertussis can lead to hospitalization and even death if left untreated.

Students who test positive for pertussis may not return to school until verification of the negative test results or completion of the treatment. The medical clearance proof must be shown to either Middle School Attendance and Health Coordinator Brenda Simon or Upper School Student Discipline and Attendance Coordinator Gabriel Preciado.