Performing Arts Department welcomes Meyer

Bev Meyer entered the Upper School Performing Arts Department as an acting teacher this school year. In addition to teaching sections of The Actor and the Stage I and The Actor and the Stage II courses, she plans to help with the fall production.

In the past, Meyer has worked as an educator, social justice advocate and theater teacher at Larchmont Charter School. She also founded the Zurich Young People’s Theatre and functioned as its Artistic Director.

Meyer earned her bachelor’s degree in English from the University of California, Berkeley , a teaching credential from the University of California, Los Angeles Graduate School of Education and a master’s degree in Creative Drama and Theatre Education from the University of Texas at Austin.

She said that she uses her social justice principles in her acting classes and that she is looking forward to implementing these ideas at the school this year.

“I’m particularly interested in seeing how we can address themes that [the school] is bringing to the [forefront] this year, like anti-racism and ‘courageous conversations,’ which I think will make for some dynamic and thought-provoking classes,” Meyer said.

Meyer also said she believes theater training has broad applications beyond the stage, as she feels it can help performers build their concentration and learn the value of making mistakes.

“[Theater] helps us learn about ourselves and understand others, and it builds the confidence and self-esteem we need to allow us to move outside our comfort zone into the sphere ‘where the magic happens,’” Meyer said.

Along with the rest of the faculty, Meyer will teach her courses on Zoom at the start of the school year. She said she is excited to join the school community and is ready to confront the obstacles that virtual learning will present.

“Teaching online is a particular challenge with a subject like theater, and it’s also going to make starting at a new school and meeting new students more challenging,” Meyer said. “[However,] it will certainly push me to come up with creative solutions.”