Chapus repeats, Weissenbach places at Adidas Grand Prix

By Luke Holthouse

In the nationally televised Adidas Grand Prix track meet in New York Saturday, star runners Cami Chapus ’12 and Amy Weissenbach ’12 both finished in the top 10 in their respective races. Chapus finished in first place in the mile with a time of 4:39.64 while Weissenbach finished eighth in the 800 with a time of 2:04.03. The trip capped off a busy week for the track duo, who both competed in the California State Meet last weekend and graduated Friday. Both will be running track and cross country at Stanford together next year.

“We got in at 10:00 [p.m.],” Chapus said of her flight from Los Angeles in a video interview with www.flotrack.org. “I was a little tired waking up this morning, but the whole time, I’ve been like ‘I just graduated and I’m on my summer now. Just have fun with it.'”

Chapus’ time in the event was the second fastest time ran by a high school girl in the country this year and set a school record. Her victory in the Adidas Dream Mile is the second straight year she won the event. The win for Chapus provided a bit of redemption for her after she was unable to defend her state title in the 1600 at the California State Meet last weekend. After winning the state event with a time of 4:40.88 last year, she ran a 4:53.42 last weekend and finished second.

“Last week after my race, I really was bummed to be honest,” she said of the State Meet. ”I feel like I’ve really learned from it, making that transition from a low to into a high this week.”

Weissenbach finished with a time about a second and a half faster than her time of 2:05.70 at the State Meet last weekend, where she won the 800 state title for the third straight year. However, her time in New York was about two seconds shy of the 2:02.04 she ran in the 2011 State Meet to set the national high school record in the event. Her state winning time in 2010 was 2:07.52. This was the first time she participated at the Adidas Grand Prix.

The entire meet was broadcast on NBC.