Girls’ soccer loses on penalties

Making its way to the CIF semifinals, the varsity girls’ soccer team had faced little trouble from its opposition. The only thing in the way of progressing on to the finals was a game against Chaminade, a team that the Wolverines had already beaten once during the regular season.

Despite many chances on goal, none of them were converted into goals and the first half ended scoreless.

The Wolverines maintained possession for the majority of the game and with six minutes left in the game, Courtney O’Brien ’15 received a pass from Hannah Lichtenstein ’13 and slotted it past the goalkeeper into the back of the net to take the lead.

However, this lead did not last long, as Chaminade converted a corner kick into a goal only two minutes later. Regulation time ended scoreless, and the game moved into two ten minute halves of extra time, where the first to score would win.

Only a few minutes in, Rina Gores ’15 took a shot on goal that would have ended the game, but it went only inches to the right of the net. The game remained tied through the second half of extra time and progressed to penalty kicks.

Lichtenstein took the first penalty and her shot blazed past the goalie into corner of the net. Goalkeeper Jackie Ridgley ’14 saved Chaminade’s first penalty and the Wolverines’ hopes on moving on to the CIF finals looked cheerful. Despite this advantage, the Wolverines missed their next two penalties and Chaminade was able to make one but miss another.

Tied 1-1 with two shots left, both the Wolverines and Chaminade were able to make their next spot kicks. Brianna Gazmarian ’15 stepped up to take the fifth and potentially final penalty, but unfortunately her shot was stopped by the Chaminade keeper.

Chaminade was able to convert their last spot kick and the Chaminade fans stormed the field while the Wolverines hung their heads in defeat. Their CIF championship hopes were ended.