Weissenbach completes ‘three-peat’ in 800

By Luke Holthouse

Amy Weissenbach ’12 brought home her third consecutive state championship in the girls 800 Saturday, June 3 at the State Meet at Buchanan High School.

Weissenbach finished with a time of 2:05.70, over three seconds behind her state-best time of 2:02.04 last year but about a two second improvement from her state-best time of 2:07.52 in 2010. Her time at the 2011 State Meet still stands as the fastest 800 time ever ran by a girl in a high school competition. 

Windy conditions during the meet may have been the reason why Weissenbach did not break the two minute mark in the race, which she said earlier this season was one of her goals. 

“I’m glad I was able to win again,” Weissenbach told the Daily News. “I was hoping [a record] would happen, but winning was my main goal.”

In addition to her victory in the 800, Weissenbach took home runner-up in the girls 4×400 relay with Cami Chapus ’12, Imani Cook-Gist ’15 and Shea Copeland ’15 with a time of 3:47.07. Weissenbach and Chapus finished in first place in the same event last year with KC Cord ’11 and Lauren Hansson ’11, but were disqualified because of an improper baton handoff. 

Individually, Chapus finished fifth in the girls 1600 with a time of 4:53.42. She won the event last year with a time of 4:40.88, but was unable to defend her state title this year. 

Additionally, Alex Florent ’15 placed fifth in the girls high jump with a height of 5 feet 7 inches. She broke the school record in the event earlier this year with a height of 5 feet 10 inches. 

In boys track and field, Ben Gaylord ’13 finished in fifth place in the pole vault event with a height of 15 feet 4 inches.