School makes AP exams optional for the year

Mimi Landes

The College Board announced a new schedule for AP Exams for the school year. The tests will be administered by the school both in-person on paper and at home online over a three-week period.

Students were emailed a form containing information about the format, times and dates for the tests. Those planning to take an AP exam must fill out a form by March 2 at 8 p.m. to confirm which tests they will take.

In past school years,  AP exams were required to complete the course and gain credits from it. This year the school’s faculty decided to make the exams optional. Upper School Registrar and AP Coordinator Krista McClain said the decision was made by the faculty due to the circumstances of COVID-19.

“It did not seem reasonable to require the AP Exams for students,” McClain said. “There are a lot of variables this year that students and faculty are navigating which seems unfair to make the exams required.” 

The decision to make tests optional was made only for this school year. McClain says she thinks most students will still take the AP exams even though they are no longer required to complete the course.

“I expect that the turnout will be fairly similar to before the announcement,” McClain said. “Many students use the AP Exams for college credit or list them on their college applications.”

Emilio Cue ’22 agreed with McClain and said he plans to take the exam for his AP French class.

“I want to take [the AP exam] because there is no harm in taking it even if it is not required,” Cue said. “Only good can come out of taking the exam.”

Arianna Azarbal ’22 says she also plans to take the AP exam for her classes that would normally require it.

“I think it’s considerate that the school gave us the option not to in light of the pandemic and the challenges it created for students this past year,” Azarbal said.

Below is the list of times and dates of AP exams the school is offering this year.

English Language — Wed, May 26, 9:00am, English Literature —Tues, May 18, 9:00am, Art History — Wed, May 19, 1:00pm, Comparative Government & Politics — Fri, May 28, 9:00am, European History — Wed, May 19, 9:00am, Human Geography — Fri, May 28, 9:00am, US Government & Politics — Thur, May 20, 9:00am, US History — Wed, May 19, 9:00am, World History: Modern — Thur, May 20, 9:00am, Calculus AB — Mon, May 24, 8:00am, on paper, on campus, Calculus BC — Mon, May 24, 8:00am, on paper, on campus, Computer Science A — Tues, May 18, 1:00pm, digitally at home, Computer Science Principles — Wed, May 26, 1:00pm, digitally at home, Economics: Macro — Mon, May 10, 12:00pm, on paper, on campus, Economics: Micro — Wed, May 12, 12:00pm, on paper, on campus, Statistics —Tues, May 25, 12:00pm, on paper, on campus, Biology — Thur, May 27, 9:00am, digitally at home, Chemistry — Tues, May 25, 8:00am, on paper, on campus, Environmental Science — Thur, May 27, 1:00pm, digitally at home, Physics 1 — Mon, May 24, 12:00pm, on paper, on campus, Physics C: Mechanics — Mon, May 24, 12:00pm, on paper, on campus, Physics C: E&M — Tues, May 25, 8:00am, on paper, on campus, Chinese Language — 12:00pm (computer-based), French Language — Fri, May 21,12:00pm, on paper, on campus, Italian Language — Fri, May 21,8:00am, on paper, on campus, Japanese Language — Fri, May 21, 8:00am, on paper, on campus, Latin — Fri, May 21, 8:00am, on paper, on campus, Spanish Language — Fri, May 21, 8:00am, on paper, on campus, Spanish Literature — Fri, May 21, 12:00pm, on paper, on campus, Music Theory — Fri, May 21, 12:00pm, on paper, on campus, Psychology — Thurs, May 20, 1:00pm, digitally at home