Stone-Cutters releases fall chapbook

The fall 2021 edition of the Stone-Cutters magazine, pictured against a plain background, is now available for student viewing.

Printed with permission of Stone-Cutters

Vasilia Yordanova

Stone-Cutters, the school’s literary arts magazine, released a fall chapbook on Nov. 17 as their first publication of this academic year. The booklet features writing and art by the Stone-Cutters club members and from the broader school community.

Stone-Cutters Managing Editor Maddie Morrison ’22 said assembling the chapbook was a complex but rewarding process for the club.

“The Stone-Cutters fall chapbook has been a great way to bring our new team together and focus our creative energy on one project,” Morrison said. “As a club, we all had different roles in soliciting submissions, laying out the [chapbook] and then manually assembling copies,”

Morrison said she enjoyed seeing the club’s hard work come to fruition as one tangible booklet.

“I think that showcasing student work is so rewarding for both the artists and the club,” Morrison said “Putting together the chapbook has made me especially proud to be part of such a creative and thoughtful community.”

Stone-Cutters Staff Member Clarissa Brown ’24 said the club members dove into working on the chapbook very soon after their first meeting, and they later had to practice creating the physical booklets.

“We did a mock layout of the chapbook by printing and cutting copies of the various chosen submissions and organizing them into our handmade books, which one of our faculty advisors taught us how to do,” Brown said. “We then spent one of our meetings doing mass production of the chapbooks while listening to Taylor Swift’s new album.”

Stone-Cutters Staff Member Frances Ross ’22 said the club had multiple variations of folding for the chapbooks, and once they finished assembling them they tried their best to distribute copies around the school.

“[The chapbooks found] their way around the whole campus, and teachers also helped,” Ross said. “For example, my English teacher handed them out to a couple of students in my class and helped us advertise.”

Ross said the chapbook was smaller than Stone-Cutter’s usual publications, therefore making it a warm-up project for the club as well as an enjoyable way to showcase students’ artistic or writing talents.

“The chapbooks are almost like a little preview for the rest of Stone-cutters’ work,” Ross said. “Layout was pretty quick because they are so small; it mostly consisted of pairing poems or short writing pieces with an art piece, then folding the paper to create the chapbook. It was really fun and relaxing to sit and talk with the other Stone-cutters members while we created the chapbooks.”