Girls soccer completes league season

Danny Johnson

FRESHMAN STARS: Freshmen Gemma Ozturk ’25 and Victoria Pugh ’25 walk back from across the field to rejoin the team after scoring a goal to put the team up 4-0 Jan. 19 against Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy.

Leo Saperstein

The girls soccer team finished its Mission League season with consecutive wins against Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy and Immaculate Heart High School on Feb. 2 and Feb. 3, with scores of 4-0 and 5-0, respectively. The squad has an overall record of 11-1-4 and is 8-0 in league play and played its first playoff game against Aliso Niguel High School on Feb. 12.
Girls Soccer Program Head Richard Simms said the team benefitted from consistent offensive success throughout the season. .

“[Goalkeeper Amelia Jackson’s ’23] ability to play calmly out of the back allows us to patiently build our attacks,” Simms said. “[Forward Victoria Pugh ’25] has been a revelation up front [by] scoring consistently and [forward Sophia Haynes ’22] and [team co-captain and forward Daniela Quintero ’22] have [also] been consistent goal scorers.”

Quintero said communication between players contributes to the team’s effective attacking style.

“Most of our offensive success comes from communicating with each other in the final third and being aware of players that are open for passes,” Quintero said. “When we are patient in switching the ball and have composure in front of the goal, we can create many goal-scoring opportunities.”

Simms said senior players are helping their younger teammates develop technical skills, passing style and consistency during soccer practice.

“[The seniors] are not only stepping up on the field with their talent, but they are also a phenomenal leadership group,” Simms said. “They have created a positive, joyful environment, and I’m proud to be their coach.”

Last season, the team won the 2021 CIF Southern Section Regional Championship. Quintero said the squad needs to maintain a culture of positivity in order to achieve similar success this year.

“It will be important to stay disciplined in our game plan and manage all the emotions that come with a playoff game,” Quintero said. “Despite losing a large senior class from last season, this year’s seniors continue to foster an incredibly supportive and fun environment. The seniors have worked to improve the communication on the field which has resulted in more organized [offensive] attacks.”

Defender Jade Stanford ’22 said Simms pushed the team to develop through the regular season in preparation for challenging opponents in the playoffs.

“In preseason we had the chance to play a lot of the teams we will play in playoffs, and all of those games were very close,” Stanford wrote in an email. “[Simms] has been saying all season that we need to be at our best at the end of the season, and we definitely have improved and are playing very well right now, so I’m very excited for the team going into the playoffs.”

Although the team will have 13 departing seniors at the end of the season, Stanford said she hopes the younger players will maintain the same compassionate and successful team dynamic.

“I think the bond formed between seniors has definitely spread throughout the team and has led to an overall tight group,” Stanford wrote . “ I have so much faith in the juniors to be great leaders as seniors next year, as well as the amazing sophomores and even freshman. I have no doubt that they will do a great job.”