Girls soccer wins fourth consecutive game

Sandra Koretz/Chronicle

On Ted Slavin Field, forward Victoria Pugh ’25 lines up with a defender and prepares for a goal kick in a game against Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy on Jan. 19.

Leo Saperstein

The girls soccer team defeated Chaminade High School 3-0 Jan. 21, moving the team’s league record to 4-0. The squad scored once in the first half and twice in the second, while preventing the Chaminade High School offense from creating offensive opportunities.

The team recorded its third shut-out victory of the season, with the first two coming in a 9-0 victory against Bishop Alemany High School and a 6-0 win over Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy on Jan. 12 and Jan. 20, respectively.

“A big contributor to our overall success as a team is our chemistry,” Ganocy said. “As the season has passed, we have gotten closer and closer, and that has definitely translated to our performance on the field.”

Alongside the squad’s defense, Skyla Wilkins ’25 said communication on the offensive side of the field has led the team to frequent opportunities in front of the opposing team’s goal.

“The team’s offense has done a great job on continuing to create chances in the final third,” Wilkins said. “The team has done an amazing job on penetrating forward when given the chance. [We have] a great connection resulting in successful teamwork on the field contributing to our strengths.”

Girls soccer Program Head Richard Simms said the players possess a high level of skill and motivation, which has helped them find success so far.

“We have a great group of players, and they [have done] an excellent job of bringing the right level of intensity,” Simms said. “This can be tough when you know you are the stronger team but we handled it very well.”

Simms said the squad’s consistent passing and strong defensive play has contributed to their recent wins.

“The key to the team’s continued success is being able to find a rhythm to our passing, particularly through the midfield and being able to play great team defense,” Simms said. “We are excited for the second half of the league season.”

The squad will play its next game against Immaculate Heart High School on Jan. 26.