Admissions receives record applications

Illustration by Lucas Cohen-d'Arbeloff and Alexa Druyanoff

The Admission Office’s applicant data for the 2022-2023 school year reflect an increase in both number and diversity.

Will Sherwood

More students have applied to attend the school this year than ever before, according to new data from the Admission Office. The school received 1,260 applications for the 2022-2023 academic year, about a 3.3% increase from the average of 1,220 applications over the last three years, according to Assistant Director of Admissions Meagan Salmon.

Applications this year were submitted from 356 different sending schools and 268 different zip codes, Salmon said. Of the 290 zip codes in all of Los Angeles County, an area larger than Delaware or Rhode Island, the current student body currently represents 175.

Head of Admission and Enrollment Aaron Mieszczanski said he and his team had to adapt and work hard to increase the number of applications because of the pandemic.

“It hasn’t been easy, but our team has been creative, adaptable and steadfast to help prospective families engage with our school community,” Mieszczanski said. “We did our best to meet people where they are in these uncertain times and also had an extended community of volunteer faculty and staff step up to support our work both virtually and in person.”

Of 1,260 applications overall, 856 applicants—68%—self-identified as people of color, Salmon said. According to the school’s website, the school’s current population includes 59% of students who identify as people of color.

Mieszczanski said the Admission Office has dedicated itself to building classes that are made up of a variety of personalities and cultures.

“We’re intentional about sharing how much our school values diversity of all kinds, and it’s a central part of our story to share with prospective families,” Mieszczanski said. “We’re looking to bring many different backgrounds and voices together at the school, knowing it makes us excellent. We also continue to work closely with different organizations and host specific events for prospective families of color.”

Head of Upper School Beth Slattery said she was excited by this year’s record number of applications.

“Admission is among the most important things we do because it allows us to craft a community that reflects our mission,” Slattery said. “Over the past few years, I’ve watched our student population become more diverse in important ways, which is essential to maintaining our excellence. This diversity is a direct result of the amazing work being done by our [Admission] Office.”

The applicant pool is evenly divided in terms of gender, Salmon said, with slightly more applicants who self-identify as males than females. Additionally, Salmon said some applicants identified as gender nonconforming on their application.

In March, the school will notify applicants about acceptances. Approximately 215 spaces are available for admission in the seventh grade, and approximately 90 new students are admitted into the ninth grade, Salmon said. Depending upon total school enrollment each year, approximately 10 students are admitted into the 10th grade.

“We usually anticipate three to four applicants for each opening in the seventh grade and approximately four to five applicants for every ninth grade opening,” Salmon said.