Sophomores elect Junior Prefects

Kriste An/Chronicle

Glory Ho ’24 gives her speech to the sophomore class during on assembly before the election April 14.

Kriste An and Grace Coleman

Sophomores elected Bari LeBari ’24, Davis Marks ’24, Isiuwa Odiase ’24 and Nyla Shelton ’24 to serve as their Junior Prefects next year, Head Prefects Jade Stanford ’22 and Quincey Dern ’22 announced in an email April 19.

LeBari, Marks, Odiase and Shelton were chosen among a pool of 12 candidates. Each of the candidates had an opportunity to speak to their classmates April 14, where they answered a prepared and unprepared question, discussing a failure that they had experienced as well as their ideal Directed Study course. LeBari and Marks won the first round of elections, after which a runoff election took place between five candidates, which Odiase and Shelton won.

Odiase said she was elated to find out that she had won the election, given the competitive pool of candidates.

“I couldn’t believe it when I heard that I had won the election,” Odiase said. “I ran for Junior Prefect because I wanted to act as a voice for my classmates and make sure their thoughts, feelings and ideas were integrated into the greater community. Though I wanted to win, I knew that it would be difficult, given the multitude of students who had participated in the election. So, when I found out that I had won, I was elated.”

Shelton, who served on Prefect Council this past year, said she hopes to utilize her experience as a Sophomore Prefect to better the community, especially in regard to academic reform.

“Learning I was re-elected to be a Junior Prefect was exciting,” Shelton said. “As a Sophomore Prefect, I’ve learned a lot about our school, the Council and the importance of its role [in the community]. I’m excited to jump into my role next year, already familiar with the Council and its responsibilities. I would like to focus on academic reform, especially, and help alleviate stress and academic pressure in the community.”

Bill Coleman ’24, who participated in the election alongside LeBari, Marks, Odiase and Shelton, said although he was upset to have lost the election, he is confident that the elected students will be able to fulfill their duties as Junior Prefects.

“I was disappointed to learn that I had lost the election, but I am certain that those who have won will be able to carry out their duties in representing the students, planning community-wide events and acting as a liaison between the student body and the administration,” Coleman said. “I know many of the students who won, and I trust that they will be able to lead us in an extraordinary direction.”