Junior trio leads Wolverines squad to 2-2 league start

Following a first round exit in the gold bracket of the Dos Pueblos tournament last weekend, the boys’ volleyball team will match up against St. Francis High School tomorrow to kick off its four game home stand.

With the loss of eight seniors from last year, the squad has gone 2-2 thus far in Mission League play, defeating Crespi Carmelite High School and Chaminade High School in a three game sweep. The Wolverines also lost to Loyola High School and Notre Dame High School in three sets, respectively.

The Wolverines lack the height that led them to the second round of the CIF Playoffs last year. Instead, the team’s starting lineup is comprised of a good volleyball IQ including hitters and setters with experience through club play, setter Brad Comisar ’15 said.

“Despite being a very young team, we all have a close connection with each other and understand the game,” setter Comisar said. “This year is going to be a year where we can further improve our connection with each other. Our areas of improvement are definitely our defense and serve receive. Once we establish better communication with our back row players, we will be able to run a more fluid offense, especially carried by our outside hitters Scott [Nussbaum ’15] and Hudson [Ling ’15].”

Despite being swept in two games, the team defeated Chaminade and Crespi in just three sets each.

The team relied on hitters Nussbaum  and Ling, as well as Comisar who has played both hitter and setter so far this season.

All three players are the only athletes in the program who have been playing competitive  club volleyball since middle school. Elliot Sassouni ’14 is the only returning senior from last years’ squad and has helped anchor the Wolverines’ back row.

“Our strength is definitely our knowledge of the game,” Comisar said. “Hudson, Scott and I have played school and club volleyball for many years, and we use this experience to teach the newer players about the game.”

Even with such a young and inexperienced varsity team this year, the Wolverines have done fairly well so far in the Mission League.

The back row has lacked some efficiency in returning hits from taller players on Loyola and Notre Dame, but Comisar has helped anchor the squad and set up hitters in the right spots.

“We all have to step collectively as a group in order for us to maximize our potential,” head coach Adam Black said. “Certainly we have some returners in Brad, Eliott, Hudson and Scott who are doing a wonderful job leading, but at the end of the day everyone needs to do their part to get better.”

The squad is set to play the first of four home games tomorrow night against St. Francis, before taking on St. John Bosco and Chaminade.  The Wolverines played  Alemany last night, but results were unavailable as of press time.