Freshmen lead field hockey team in big win on senior night

Printed with permission of Darlene Bible

The field hockey team defeated Glendora High School 6-0 in a home game Sept. 29. Midfielders Valentina Ganocy ’27 and Margaux Schlumberger ’27 scored the entirety of the team’s goals, with Ganocy scoring five and Schlumberger scoring one. The team moves to a total record of 8-2-1.

Goalie Lily Stambouli ’24 said the team still emphasizes playing together despite their exceptionally talented freshmen.

“[Ganocy and Schlumberger] are super talented as center players on the field,” Stambouli said. “Their speed and insane skills allow them to be outstanding individual players but even better teammates. A big thing we’ve been trying to work on this season is playing as a team, whether that means passing or communicating on the field. It’s clear that both [Ganocy and Schlumberger] could easily dribble the ball past most of the players, but [Ganocy and Schlumberger] continue to play smart and most importantly as a team.”

Stambouli said the team will be training hard in preparation for their game at the school’s 2023 Homecoming.

“This week and always, we practice like we play,” Stambouli said. “We’re going in with lots of intensity and hard work so that we can show [the school] at Homecoming how great our team is.”

The team’s next match is against Fountain Valley High School at home during the school’s 2023 Homecoming on Oct. 7.

View Comments (1)