Prefect Council hosts the annual schoolwide dodgeball competition in Taper Gymnasium

Noelle Kim

Prefect Council hosted the annual dodgeball tournament, with matches between teams starting Nov. 28 and the final Dec 8. All
games took place during lunch in Taper Gymnasium. Twelve teams competed this year, with each team consisting of up to eight players with an alternate and up to one faculty member. All games were refereed by the Head Fanatics.

Sophomore Prefect Sarah Anschell ’26 said the purpose of the tournament is to bring a fun element to the stressful weeks leading up to Winter Break.

“Especially because the time between the Thanksgiving and Winter breaks can be super stressful, the goal is for dodge-
ball to be something light hearted and fun for the community to look forward too,” Anschell said. “Hopefully it is a good change of pace for people to take their minds off of classes and enjoy the competition.”

Anschell said Prefect Council worked on making the games smoother this year in hopes of making the tournament more enjoyable for players.

“This year, the Prefect Council tried to simplify the [dodgeball] tournament and relax some of the guidelines to make it easier for the teams playing,” Anschell said.

The dodgeball tournament is fairly new to the upper school campus and was adapted from the middle school’s version of the competition in 2021.

Dhara Jobrani ’26, a member of the team “Taiwan Tigers,” said he enjoys the tournament because he is able to connect with students from other grades.

“We had a team back in ninth grade and we wanted to mix it up a little bit this year,” Jobrani said. “We have some senior and junior players on the team which is a nice change, and hopefully we have a better chance of winning. I like how the tournament is a place for all students of all different grades to get together and play dodgeball.”

“Taiwan Tigers” lost to team “DAWGERS” in the quarterfinals, giving team “DAWGERS” a place in the semifinals. In the semifinal rounds Dec. 5, team “Crespi Kreme” defeat- ed “BigGuard University” 2-0 and team “DAWGERS” prevailed against “FCZF” with a score of 2-1. The finals Dec. 8 was between team “DAWGERS” and team “Crespi Kreme.”

Jonah Benadon ’25, member of team “DAWGERS,” said the team was determined as they headed into the final game.

“So far we’ve breezed through the competition but we know it all comes down to this.” Benadon said. “We didn’t come this far to lose, and we’re going in to win.”

Barron Linnekens ’26, who played on team “BigGuardUniversity,” said being able to form his own team emphasized a sense of community.

“The competition is something fun and stress-free I can do with my friends during the school day,” Linnekes said. “I like how we get to put together a team on our own, and it really brings the school community together because I got to meet new people through creating my team. I was able to get closer to people I’ve never really talked to before dodgeball.”

Team “Crespi Kreme” defeated team “DAWGERS” in the team’s third consecutive dodgeball tournament championship.

Adi Shokeen ’24, who played on team “Crespi Kreme,” said he felt more focused on winning the championship than having a fun time.

“[It was huge] to secure a three peat,” Shokeen said. “I am super proud of the lads for get- ting it done. It’s been a pleasure sharing the court with the same guys since sophomore year. I think [it was] just as important to win as it was important to get the three peat.”