School experiences power outage

Nathan Wang
Munger Science Center, Seaver Library, Feldman Horn and Rugby Hall temporarily lost power March 14 due to high winds.

High winds caused a neighborhood power outage that affected select buildings at the Upper School on March 14 at around 9 a.m. Power, electricity and Wi-Fi shut off during the outage in Munger Science Center, Seaver Library, Feldman Horn and Rugby Hall. Power was restored at 11:57 a.m. Power remained in Chalmers Hall and Weiler Hall throughout the day.

Upper School Plant Manager Ed Wormald said Studio City’s power grid structure prevents school-wide power outages.

“This school is laid out in a grid system,” Wormald said. “[A power outage] won’t affect the entire campus. It affects one-half of the campus. That’s why some buildings had power and some didn’t.”

English teacher Jill Turner said she continued her class despite the power outage.

“There’s only a couple of days until spring break, and we’re getting to the end of a book,” Turner said. “The students have to get ready for an assessment, so we could have a class with our books and blinds up, and it wasn’t dark.”

Nate Verny ’25, who was in Turner’s class during the outage, said the dark setting contributed to the discussion.

“I feel like [the outage] added a mood and almost evoked a tone for our discussion,” Verny said. “It was like calm and peaceful [and] ultimately helpful for the conversation.”