Girls’ Volleyball Starts off League Play with Two Wins

The girls’ volleyball team is looking to maintain and improve upon its fast start as the team jumps into Mission League play this season.

After successful runs at various tournaments throughout the preseason, as well as a home win against Santa Barbara, the Wolverines sit at 12-4 overall and already have two Mission League wins, equaling their total from last year.

Although the Wolverines emphasize that their approach has not changed from previous years, they believe that senior leadership and greater focus in practice have been major factors contributing to their increased success thus far.

“Throughout the season, we have been setting individual goals and team values before practice,” outside hitter Josie Treadwell ’16 said. “These standards of behavior have really focused our energy into a common vision we can all work to achieve, contributing to our success so far this season.”

At the beginning of the season, many players showed a desire to improve from last year, especially in Mission League games. So far, they’ve started off well in that regard; the team easily dispatched rival Notre Dame on the road in three sets, and overcame adversity in a comeback win over Marlborough in their Mission League home opener.

“What is amazing about this team is no matter the atmosphere or situation we can come together and stay calm,” libero Zoe Baxter ’16 said.“Marlborough is a really good team and we knew that coming in. We were able to trust in our training and each other to get the job done.”

Members of team also believe that the valuable experience they gained by playing in tournaments such as the Molten Classic, where they can practice going up against teams similar to those in the Mission League, has greatly benefited their performance.

“We have played in very competitive tournaments and have had the opportunity to play the best teams in the state and in the country,” Baxter said. “Challenging hard teams in tournaments has shown us how good we can be, but also how much harder we have to work if we want to come out on top of our league.”

Despite the culture of hard-work in the girls’ volleyball program, players think that what will propel this squad to reach even greater heights is the tight-knit environment of the team.

“Not only are we all close, but we all are driven by the same goals for this season,” Courtney Nunley ’17 said.“We work hard and play for each other. I think that a major factor of our success going forward is that we’re a family on and off the court.”

The team’s next game will be at Marymount High School on Oct. 6, and its homecoming match is against St. Lucy’s on Oct. 24 in Taper Gymnasium.