Squad competes in state tournament

Justin Goldstein

Ready to strike: Avery Jones ’23 tosses up a serve in a 3-0 victory against Westview High School in the first round of CIF State Playoffs.

Charlie Seymour

After defeating Redondo Union High School 3-2 in the first round of California Interscholastic Federation Southern Section (CIF-SS) Division 1 playoffs, girls volleyball lost to Marymount High School 3-0 in the second round Oct. 27. The team held an overall record of 25-8 and a Mission League record of 6-2. 

After losing twice to Marymount High School during league play, the team closed out its season finishing second overall in the Mission League. 

Outside hitter Ava Lange ’23 said she attributes many of the season’s successes to the players’ perseverance and the squad’s  supportive community.

“We were able to go so far this season because of our great coaching staff and [because] each girl on the team was so willing to improve their play and push each other to become the best players we can be,” Lange said. “If we continue our same work ethic and drive, we will have the same success next [season].”

Outside hitter Sophia Lindus ’22 said despite each player playing to win, the team was still able to enjoy the game. 

“This team genuinely has a lot of fun playing together, and when we tap into that joy, we’re able to play cohesively,” Lindus said. “When we’re in that mindset we’re not worried about winning or losing, because we’re so focused on the present moment. The score will speak for itself.”

Despite losing in the CIF-SS playoffs, the team qualified for the CIF Division 1 State Championship tournament, which began Nov. 9. This qualification marks the first time girls volleyball has made the state tournament in the past four years.

The team, slotted as the third seed in the southern division of the tournament, beat 14th seed Westview High School 3-0. It advanced to play sixth seed Torrey Pines High School on Nov. 11. Torrey Pines advanced to the next round of the tournament after defeating 11th seed Huntington Beach High School 3-2.

Lange said the team must work to piece together each individual player’s abilities in order to become the best version of themselves during the remainder of the state tournament.

“Every person on this team comes from a different volleyball background, but we put that all aside and played together and without fear whenever [we are competing] against schools where volleyball is their number one priority,” Lange said.

Lindus said this year marks a bittersweet ending to her school volleyball career.

“I have learned how to be a better leader both on and off the court by understanding the team’s emotions and [responding to] what they need in a given situation,” Lindus said. “I really appreciate how big of a role everyone has on this team. Everyone will just keep maturing and growing together and although [we] seniors won’t be there, I’m really excited to see how they do.”