Boys’ Basketball wins first playoff game

Carter Begel ’17 takes a free throw during the Wolverines victory over West Ranch. Begel finished the game with nine points.

The boys’ basketball team passed its first playoff test Wednesday night, defeating West Ranch 80-62.

Cassius Stanley ’19 and Mason Hooks ’20 led the scoring with 16 and 14 points respectively.  With point guard and team captain Ali Iken ’17 facilitating, the Wolverines distributed the ball well, as seven players scored more than five points.

After scoring 31 points in a tightly contested first half, the Wolverines’ offense scored 49 in the second to pull away with the win.

“It really stems from our defense,” Forward Ray Mueller ’17 said.  “I think when we play best on defense is when we thrive on offense.  When we’re running in transition, sharing the ball, and just playing as a team.”

The team will advance to the second round of the CIF-SS D1A playoffs, playing Kaiser at home on Friday.  The Cats tied for first in the Sunkist League, compiling a 19-9 regular season record (9-1 in league play).

“Especially for the seniors, I know we’re trying to influence the young guys as much as we can and help them out as much as we can,” Mueller said.  “We try to limit the learning curve so that we come out tonight, we can get as many wins as possible.”

Friday’s match will begin at 7 p.m.