Football wins season opener on final play

One big family: Football beats the Birmingham Patriots in the last play of the game. Credit: Jackie Greenberg/Chronicle

The Wolverines defeated the Birmingham Patriots 33-28 in the season opener Friday night.

Although the Wolverines were ahead for the majority of the game, the Patriots mounted a late comeback, taking the lead in the fourth quarter. Birmingham led 27-28 toward the end of the fourth quarter when the Wolverines drove to the one-yard line, ending in a field goal attempt by Jeremy Yariv ’18.

The field goal was blocked and the ball was recovered by Birmingham with a minute and a half left remaining.

“When the field goal got blocked, I thought the game was over,” Sultan Daniels ’19 said.

Trying to run out the clock, Birmingham’s Shane Bennett fumbled which was then recovered by Daniels. The Wolverines then drove towards the four-yard line with six seconds left in the game.

With one second remaining, quarterback Jameson Wang ’20 threw the ball to Cameron Jones ’18 for the winning touchdown.

“The kids showed a lot of grit, worked really hard over the winter, and I think that was an example of them pulling off the hard work that paid off tonight,” head coach Scot Ruggles said.

The Wolverines’ next game will be against Jefferson High School at home next Friday, with kickoff scheduled for 7 p.m.