Football falls to Cathedral on Homecoming night

Chase Harleston ’21 takes down opposing player. Credit: Pavan Tauh/Chronicle

The Wolverines came into Saturday night’s game with high expectations. The team was 5-0, coming off a bye-week, after a 54-31 win against Dominguez.

Cathedral defeated the Wolverines 57-20 on Harvard Westlake’s Homecoming night. The Phantoms got ahead 15-0 early in the first quarter, making it difficult for the Wolverines to catch up. The squad was unable to tie the score throughout the remainder of the game.

Defensively, the Wolverines struggled to contain running back Brandyn Jordan and quarterback Bryce Young, allowing the Phantoms offense to score 36 points in the first half and add another 21 points in the second half.

Offensively, the Wolverines scored 21 points which although far below their season average of 49, was still the most amount of points the Cathedral defense has surrendered all season.

Toward the end of the first half, the student section began to disperse, changing the atmosphere. As the Fanatics section began to lose energy, the same effects were felt on the field. As the fourth quarter began, there were only enough Fanatics to fill three rows of bleachers.

“[The Fanatics] bring an atmosphere like no other,” captain Will Goldberg ’19 said. “However, it’s a shame when people show up for a half and then leave. They definitely help us, but it is disappointing when they leave before the most important part of the game, the 4th quarter.”

The Wolverines next game will be at Salesian on Oct. 13 with kickoff scheduled for 7 p.m.

“I feel like we’re a much better team than we showed last night,” Goldberg said. “It is frustrating, but I have hope for our success ahead of us.”