Football falls to St. Francis


Running back Sultan Daniels ’19 runs while offensive linebacker Vito Ameen ’20 blocks Golden Knights defenders. Credit: Keila McCabe/Chronicle

Keila McCabe

The football team lost against St. Francis, 27-48, on Sept. 21. This loss follows a three game Wolverine winning streak and leads them into their first league game on Homecoming night.

The St. Francis Gold Knights started the game off with a touchdown late in the first quarter. Shortly after, starting quarterback Jameson Wang ’20 limped off the field with a hip injury and did not return to the game. Quarterback Marshall Howe ’21 filled in for Wang for the remainder of the game.

“I felt great stepping up in one of the biggest games of the year,” Howe said. “Throughout the game I felt more and more comfortable and was glad I could contribute despite the loss. It was a great team effort overall and I have to give credit to [running back Sultan Daniels ’19], the offensive line, and the receivers for playing a great game and helping me out as I got settled into the game.”

The Golden Knights scored another touchdown but the Wolverines answered shortly after. Wide receiver Charlie Fuller ’20 returned the Knights’ punt for 18 yards and Daniels reached a first down on a 52 yard run. Howe was able to finish with a complete pass for a touchdown to wide receiver Chase Harleston ’21; the extra point was complete by kicked Liam Weetman ’21.

St. Francis kicked off the second quarter with another touchdown. Daniels responded with a 36 yard run followed by Howe throwing a complete pass to Fuller for a first and goal. Daniels ran for another touchdown and Weetman coverted the extra-point making the score 14-21.

Almost immediately after, the Golden Knights fumbled on the return and the Wolverines recovered the ball at the 20 yard line. Daniels, breaking several tackles, ran for his second touchdown of the game. Weetman’s point after attempt was blocked by the Golden Knights and the Wolverines were left one point behind.

“I think [Daniels] was really underutilized last year,” Head Coach Michael Burnett said. “Now he is getting the opportunity and he has been making great gains and a lot of rushing yards. He and [Jameson Wang ’20] can make a great one two punch.”

The Golden Knights scored two more touchdowns to end the third quarter but with a combination of penalties, the Wolverines offense was unable to convert anymore opportunities into touchdowns.

The third quarter was scoreless due to effective defensive adjustments by both teams.

Quickly into the fourth, the Golden Knights secured their sixth touchdown. Following the return on the punt, Daniels ran an impressive 76 yards for his third touchdown. The offensive line cleared big holes the entire game allowing him to rush for over 200 yards. The extra point was good for Weetman making the Wolverines just two touchdowns behind the Golden Knights.

“The faith we have in each other is what allows the team to succeed,” Daniels said. “When running the ball, its important no one in front of me is second guessing where I’m going to run the ball in order to prevent hesitations that lead to more missed blocks.”

Following with this momentum, linebacker Kanoa Young ’21 had an interception and ran for a touchdown but it was called back due to a roughing the passer penalty. The game ended on another Golden Knights touchdown.

“We competed, this is a team that has beaten us pretty badly in the last couple of years,” Burnett said. “The goal for us was to really go out there and compete and give ourselves a chance to win. I think we did, had we not had the touchdown called back in the fourth quarter. We are excited that we competed against a great football team but disappointed that we could not finish it.”

The Wolverines’ next game will be against St. Anthony at home on Homecoming night, next Saturday with kickoff scheduled for 7:30 p.m.