Field Hockey remains undefeated and advances in playoffs

Freshmen Bella Ganocy ’22 (#5) and Ella Ganocy ’22 (#10) attack the ball trying to take it away from the defender in the 6-0 win against Westlake on Thursday.

Field hockey beat Fountain Valley High School 7-0 today in the first round of playoffs to advance to the semifinals and mark the team’s seventeenth straight win of the season.

“Today, we were just so focused and ready for the game,” forward Samantha Yeh ’20 said. “Our passing and communication was also strong.”

Before the game, the team was coming off a 6-0 shutout win against Westlake High School in the last game of the regular season Thursday to win league. Freshmen Fiene Oerlemans ’22 scored the squad’s first goal in the game against Westlake.

The team started the season strong, shutting out Marina High School 9-0 Aug. 28 and then Westminster High School 10-0 Aug. 31.

“It was really important to us [to start strong] because it boost our confidence going into the rest of the season and it also just inspired us to work and practice harder so that we could do better in the future,” defender Iris Huang ’21 said.

The Wolverines look to win a second consecutive LAFHA championship, which would be played on Saturday if the team wins in the semifinals Thursday.