Students perform in first Coffeehouse of the year

Mila Fejzo ’19 sings “Nude’ by Radiohead during the Halloween-themed Coffeehouse on Oct. 29. Credit: Alice He/Chronicle

Upper school students showcased their literary and musical talents at the Halloween-themed Coffeehouse on Oct. 29.

To start the event, the Jack Riley Experience, which recently released their debut album on Spotify, performed the Ghostbusters theme song. After the band, Kate Konvitz ’20 and Alec Davila ’20 sang “Ain’t no sun”, a song about global warming.

Students said they enjoyed the chance to perform in front of their classmates and express their personality through their acts.

“I really like it,” Erik Anderson ’20 said. “I think it’s a great way for students to showcase whatever they want to: music, poetry, comedy, dance or whatever they want. I think it’s a great way for people to express however they feel like they want to.”

Participants said that although they were hesitant to get up on stage at first, they appreciated the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities.

“I think it’s really fun, just as long as you get rid of the first jitters, for me at least [and then] get into the grove,” Ford McDill ’21 said.

Moreover, students said that the event helped them alleviate stress from school.

“I think for me, music is a great way to unwind and take my mind off of school work or the next test or whatever it is,” Anderson said.

Other students said that they considered performing with friends a good way to take their mind off their academic responsibilities, in addition to strengthening community bonds.

“I think it’s a good way to focus on something else, and if you are doing an act with friends it’s like a good way to spend time with them,” Anderson said.