Students react to the outcome of midterms

Students discussed the outcomes of the 2018 midterm elections and their interpretations of the California propositions.

Peter Sykes ’19, a first-time voter, said that he appreciated being able to directly participate in an election and viewing the effects of his actions.

“It was interesting seeing [the outcomes],” Sykes said. “I was able to contribute to these things that I just had seen before. Watching the news and seeing the elections and stuff in the results of all the elections and going like, ‘I contributed to that and helped’ was kind of cool.”

Anja Clark ’19 said that though she felt fortunate to be able to vote in the midterm elections, the responsibility was simultaneously exciting and daunting. Clark said she felt particularly passionate about being able to vote on Proposition 2, a legislative statute that authorizes bonds to fund existing housing program for individuals with mental illness.

Ally Salvador ’19, who organized a Truth Tree campaign on campus during Suicide Prevention Week, said she is pleased the state will take steps to address the effects of mental health illnesses.
“I think [the proposition] is definitely a very good start to bring awareness to our only mental illness in the homeless community, but you how it affects everyone,” Salvador said.

Despite not being able to vote on Proposition 12, which establishes new standards for the confinement of specified farm animals and bans the sale of non-complying products, Coco Kaleel ’20 said its passing was monumental.

“At least if you look historically at regulations like environmental protections, California is such a big state that it has so much influence over the rest of the nation, so Prop 12 could have a lot of impact really in the animal rights community and in the quality of animal treatment throughout the country not just in California,” Kaleel said.

Sykes said that after reflecting on the election he is proud that he voted in the midterms and advocates for others to vote as well.

“I think it’s important to [vote] because that’s probably one of the biggest ways you can enact change,” Sykes said. “It was cool seeing that I now have an impact on a national scale.”