Both teams undefeated this season

The boys’ and girls’ swim and diving teams jumped out to perfect starts, each with undefeated records. Boys are 5-0 with a 4-0 league record, and girls are 3-0, participating in only league meets this year.

Both teams are on pace with last year, where boys finished 6-1, and girls went undefeated on their way to a third straight Mission League title.
Athletes said they are excited for the rest of the season.

“We want to win CIF this year and hopefully go on to win state,” Nick Velayos ’21 said. “This is our first year having a deep team of fast enough kids [to win].”

Namlhun Jachung ’20 said coaches have emphasized teamwork and optimism.

“The team has lots of positive energy, and I try my best to [emphasize that],” Jachung said. “I definitely need to improve on technique, but the coaches are doing a fantastic job at helping in that area.”

Similarly, Adam Copses ’20 said he attributes the team’s success this season in part to a greater emphasis on team cohesion.

“Teamwork has really improved this year,” Copses said. “We are supporting each other at all meets and across all grade levels.”
Boys’ captain and Brown University commit Jameson McMullen ’19 also said teammates have gotten closer this year.

“For an individual sport, our team is great at bringing out the best in each other,” McMullen said. “We’ve developed a team culture focused on winning, and we know that can’t be done alone. We’re pushing each other in practice every day to put in that extra effort.”

Dive captain Will Rains ’19 said he hopes the school community will continue to support the swim and dive team.

“The team is really starting to grow, and I’m really happy that diving has become more popular with students at Harvard-Westlake,” Rains said.