Football shut out by Crespi

The team stands for the national anthem before the game. Credit: Eugean Choi/Chronicle

The football team suffered a loss against Crespi last night, losing 54-0 in its second shutout loss of the season. 

The team was hit with numerous injuries, including starting quarterback Marshall Howe ’21, receiver Chase Harleston ’21 and linebacker and fullback Kanoa Young ’21. This adds to a growing list of injured players, which includes senior captains running back Jake Kelly ’20 and  linebacker William Seymour ’20.

The team was unable to generate any offense, finishing the game with two interceptions, one of which was returned for a Crespi touchdown, as well a safety and blocked punt. On the defensive end, the team couldn’t get off the field, except for one fourth down stop at their own one-yard line. Crespi controlled the game from the start, piling up yards on the ground against the Wolverine defense.

Interim Program Head Ramsey Lambert said that while his team didn’t have a great performance, its opponent made things even more difficult.

“We made our mistakes, but Crespi is a really tough team,” Lambert said. “They’ve put up a lot of points on everyone that comes across their path. They’re a good team, and you have to bring your ‘A game’ when you’re playing a team like that. We weren’t at our ‘A game,’,we weren’t necessarily at our ‘B game,’ but we had moments where we played really well.”

The Wolverines have a chance to display that “A game” next week, when they host John Burroughs High School on Sept. 13 at 7 p.m.